Sunday, June 13, 2010

(Day 163) Growing along the trail

Today started off rather miserably. My intention was to take my Netherlands visitors on a hike along a 'mountain' trail (now I put that word mountain in quotes because there really aren't any mountains to speak of in these parts - they're more properly called hills - but compared to the Netherlands we could consider them mountains). There was a drizzle falling steadily and the sky did not look like it would favour us any time soon. However, the rain stopped by late morning so we decided to pack a lunch and give it a try.

The weather cooperated, the scenery was beautiful, and there were countless photo opportunities, again. The mosquitoes were also plentiful and we donated several litres/quarts of good red blood as we sacrificed our bodies for the sake of making some photos. While I was able to make a variety of shots I decided to post ones of what we found growing along the trail - these were usually discovered through careful observation as we strove to not pitch headfirst into the mud by tripping on exposed roots or rocks.

(NOTE: please bear with me as I have company for a few days. I will do my best to post each day, and I will be back to visiting your blogs shortly and get caught up on your photographic experiences.)

(60mm  f4  1/50 sec  ISO800)























(60mm  f4  1/60 sec  ISO800)
















(60mm  f4  1/30 sec  ISO800)

24 comments:

Dagmar said...

Hi Rick, are those Dutchmen relatives of you? Well no matter what have fun along the way.We know you'll be back visiting us all soon.

And those goodies along the trail are taken beautiful buddy.
Hugs Dag.

Anonymous said...

fabulous macros and nice perspectives :-)

imac said...

Dont know if they were Magic mushrooms, but your photos are Magic Rick.

Teté M. Jorge said...

Uau! Detalhes incríveis!

Beijos.

S. Etole said...

such intricate beauty in the woods ...

darlin said...

Wonderful photos once again Rick, you never cease to impress the heck right out of me with your amazing shots.

Do NOT ignore your company my blogger friend, all in good time you'll be back. I feel that if we are neglecting other things in our lives to blog then it's time to quit blogging... for me anyways. Enjoy your company and see you when you return! :-) This also give me more time to find crocuses! lol

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence.
I was attacked by mosquitoes yesterday night and today I took a photo of some mushrooms. Two things that happened to you too ;).

Well captured!

Unknown said...

I love the warmness of the 3rd picture :-)

Greetz,

Jospeh

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Rick,I am new to your blog,but I am very impressed with the pictures you post.
These shots are amazing.My husband,Jake and I do a lot of photography,so I can appreciate these good shots.
Blessings,Ruth

Rick said...

@Barefoot from Heaven - hi Dag; they are - sort of - one is the son of a cousin of mine and the other is his friend from school. Thanks for visiting Dag - I'll be back soon.

Rick said...

@Sashindoubutsu - thank you for your kind words, and for following. Welcome!

Rick said...

@imac - it was a 'look, but don't touch' hike mac, so we may never know ;-) Thanks for stopping by.

Rick said...

@teca - obrigado pelos seus comentários (I hope that's close to 'thank you').

Rick said...

@S. Etole - absolutely Susan; difficult to choose only 3 images. Have a great week!

Rick said...

@darlin - thank you Darlene.

I usually do this late at night so it doesn't interfere with company. Like burning the candle at both ends!

Hope your weekend was great.

Rick said...

@M. Hassan - that IS a coincidence M! Thanks for dropping by and your comments - I hope to be visiting again tomorrow night.

Rick said...

@CarreraCaballo - thank you Joseph; have a super week.

Rick said...

@Ruth's Photo Blog - Hi Ruth - I appreciate you stopping by my blog and leaving a very nice comment. I'll come check yours out soon too.

Chad said...

One thing I like about you blog is I never know what will be there.I do know that it's going to be interesting and well taken. Enjoy your time away.

Rick said...

@Chad - thank you Chad; touring visitors around also gives me an opportunity to 'shoot' places I might otherwise not visit soon.

Unknown said...

I just love your macros, Rick! You've captured some brilliant details and you always pick just the right DOF!

The moss on the first shot looks like it should be a stairway for little teeny woodland faeries! :o)

Rick said...

@Krista - thank you. I could have filled up my card with all the lovely things to shoot there :) Ah yes, the leprechaun stairway - I liked how they were all stacked up on the side of the log.

Thanks for coming by Krista - I'll be resuming blog visits.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

It's all in the details and you captured them!

Rick said...

@Jeanne Klaver - thanks; there were lots of 'big picture' opportunities also but I found the details very interesting.